This charter is
a declaration of our mission, values and standards, and our
commitment to achieve excellence in the formulation and implementation
of Customs and Central Excise policies and procedures for the benefit
of the trade and industry, who are our partners in progress.
>> Our Expectation
>> Our Standards
>> We Further Commit that
>> Complaints & grievances
WE SHALL CARRY OUT OUR TASKS WITH
- integrity and judiciousness
- courtesy and understanding
- objectivity and transparency
- promptness and efficiency
we shall encourage and assist voluntary tax compliance by our
We expect you to be prompt and reasonable in
fulfilling your duty and legal obligations and be true and honest
in furnishing information to us.
- Acknowledge declarations,
intimations, applications, returns and all communications on the
spot and in any case within 7 days of their receipt.
- Respond to all communication within 15 working
days of its receipt.
- Settle any disputes relating to declarations
or assessments within 10 working days of receipt of your written
or oral explanation.
- Refund amounts due to your within 30 working
days of receiving a valid claim.
- Pay any duty drawback due to you within 48
hours of the export of the goods in case of electronic declarations
and 15 days in case of paper declarations.
- Release, where your declaration relating to
any consignment is complete and correct,
- In case of exports, within 8 hours of filing
an electronic declaration or within 24 hours of filing a paper
- In case of imports, within 24 hours of filing
an electronic declaration or within 72 hours of filing a paper
- Complete excise registration formalities within
48 hours of receiving your application.
- Return to you the input duty documents on
which MODVAT credit has been availed of within 7 days of your
- Complete examination and clearance of
your export consignment at your factory premises, whenever you
seek such a facility, within 8 hours of receiving intimation.
- Give you 15 days advance intimation before
we undertake audit of your records.
- In case of likely or inevitable delay
in decision making or when an issue is disputed, we shall promptly
communicate the reasons on our own initiative.
WE FURTHER COMMIT THAT
- All uniformed officers who deal with the public
will wear name badges and carry an Identity Card.
- Personal and business information disclosed
to us will be kept confidential.
- Clearance of consignments will be withheld
only after explaining the reasons for the same and we will give
you full opportunity to explain before passing any final order.
- Assesses in the small scale sector will be
visited only with proper authority from senior officers.
- Your tax compliance record will be recognised
and security/surety will not be insisted upon.
- Passengers can walk through customs expecting
courtesy, fairness and consideration.
- Baggage of international passengers will be
opened only after explaining the reasons and in their presence.
- We will help in repacking baggage if we have
made you unpack them.
- We will explain the reasons if we need to
search you and offer our own search before it.
- Investigations and penalty proceedings will
be initiated only after senior officers of the Department are
satisfied that prima facie evidence exists.
- The investigation officer will
- explain the legal provisions and your
rights and obligations.
- seek confirmatory information by personal
- No seized document will be withheld beyond
60 days except where they are to be relied upon in departmental
- We will provide full information about appeal
procedures and the authorities with whom appeals can be filed.
- We will continually consult all commercial
interests while reviewing our policies and procedures and provide
timely publicity of all changes in the law or procedures.
- Every possible assistance will be rendered
by the Public Relations Officer in the Divisional Office / Commissionerate
Office /Custom House (the name and telephone number of the Public
Relations Officer will be prominently displayed at such offices)
by providing all relevant information and details of procedures
as may be required.
- Our performance will be measured against these
standards and independent surveys of clients perception and assessment
of our performance and the results will be publicised through
COMLAINTS & GRIEVANCES
We will promptly acknowledge your complaints and
within 30 working days of their receipt, provide final replies.
If you have a complaint or grievance you may also take up the matter
with the Public Grievances Committee headed by the Commissioner
and/or the Zonal Grievances Committee headed by the Chief Commissioner.
A network of Guidance Units set up in the office of each head of
Customs and Central Excise will provide help and assistance in Customs
and Central Excise matters.
Free pamphlets or priced publications can be had from:
Directorate of Publicity and Public Relations
Customs and Central Excise
C.R.Building , I.P.Estate
New Delhi- 110002.
Tel No.: 91-11-3319331/3310843
Fax No: 91-11-3310744
You may feel free to write to us at the above
address if you have any suggestions or comments to offer on this